If you’re looking to add a deck to your backyard, composite deck boards are the way to go. They’re more durable and attractive than traditional wood, and they come in a variety of colors and styles. But what exactly are composite deck boards and how wide are they? In this article, we will explore the various sizes of composite deck boards and discuss the benefits of choosing them for your outdoor space. From widths to lengths and more, you’ll get all the info you need on composite decks so that you can make an informed decision when it comes time to pick out materials for your project.
Pros and Cons of Composite Deck Boards
Composite decking is made from a mix of wood fibers and recycled plastics, and it offers a number of advantages over natural wood. However, there are also a few potential drawbacks to be aware of.
– These boards are generally more durable than natural wood; they resist warping, cracking, and rot.
– Composite decking requires less maintenance than natural wood; it can be cleaned with soap and water, and it doesn’t require stain or sealant.
– It is available in a variety of colors and styles, so it’s easy to find the perfect look for your home.
– Composite decking is eco-friendly; it’s made from recycled materials, and it doesn’t require chemicals or sealants that can harm the environment.
– Composite deck boards can be more expensive than natural wood.
– Composite decking can get hot in direct sunlight; if you’re planning on using your deck for lounging or swimming, you may want to consider choosing a different material.
The Different Types of Composite Decking
When it comes to composite decking, there are a few different types that you can choose from. The most popular type is probably the traditional wood-plastic composite, which is made from a mix of wood fibers and recycled plastic.
Another popular one is the all-plastic composite decking, which is made entirely from recycled plastic materials. These boards tend to be more durable and require less maintenance than traditional composites.
Finally, there are also Composite Deck Tiles available, which are similar to traditional deck tiles but are made from a mix of wood fibers and recycled plastic. They are easy to install and provide a great way to add some extra style to your deck without having to replace the entire surface.
No matter which type of decking you choose, it’s important to make sure that it is installed properly and maintained on a regular basis. This will help ensure that your deck lasts for years to come and looks great all year round.
The Standard Width of Composite Deck Boards
Composite deck boards come in a variety of widths to suit any project. The most common ones are 12″, 16″ and 20″. However, some manufacturers also produce deck boards in 1″, 5.5″ and 6″ widths. The standard width of composite deck boards is 12″, which is perfect for most projects, as it provides ample space for walking and relaxing without feeling cramped. If you’re working on a smaller project, such as a balcony or porch, you may want to opt for narrower composite deck boards.
It’s important to note that the actual size of composite deck boards may vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. It’s always a good idea to double-check the measurements before purchasing any materials.
The Widest Composite Deck Boards
Composite deck boards come in a variety of widths to suit any project. The widest ones are typically 24 inches wide, but 12- and 16-inch wide boards are also available.
Custom Width Composite Deck Boards
Composite deck boards come in a variety of widths to suit any project. The most common widths are 12″, 16″, and 20″. However, some manufacturers also offer 24″ and even 28″ wide boards for those who want an extra-wide deck.
Most composite decking is made of a mix of wood fibers and plastic, which means that it’s not as strong as pure wood. That’s why it’s important to choose the right width for your project. For example, if you’re building a deck that will be used for entertaining, you’ll want to make sure the boards are wide enough to accommodate people and furniture. On the other hand, if your deck will mainly be used for relaxing and enjoying the outdoors, you can go with narrower boards.
Maintenance and Care for Composite Deck Boards
Composite deck boards are made to withstand tough weather conditions and everyday wear and tear. But like any type of outdoor flooring, they still require some basic maintenance and care in order to keep them looking their best. Here are a few tips on how to properly maintain your composite deck boards:
1. Sweep or brush away any dirt, debris, or leaves that may have fallen on the deck. This will help prevent mold or mildew from forming.
2. If you live in an area with a lot of trees, you may want to hose down the deck periodically to remove pollen or sap that can accumulate on the surface.
3. In the event of a spill, wipe up the mess as soon as possible. Some spills may be difficult to remove, so it’s always best to act quickly.
4. To avoid fading or discoloration, don’t place outdoor rugs or mats directly on the deck surface. Instead, use furniture pads or other protective matting underneath rugs and mats.
5. Periodically inspect the deck for any loose boards or nails that may need to be re-tightened or replaced.
Composite deck boards offer a range of widths to choose from. The wider the board, the more stable it will be, so that is something to consider when planning your composite decking project. When you’re ready to install your new composite deck boards, make sure to measure carefully and choose the best option for your needs!