If you’re looking for the best plug cutter for creating smooth plugs in 2023 but can’t identify the best one, you’re in luck! We’re here to help. To help you avoid wasting time trying to find products on your own, we’ll provide you with a list of the best options out there.
That way, you’ll be able to find the one that fits your needs perfectly much faster and with minimum effort. All you need to do is go through our list and our buying guide, and you’ll be ready to use your perfect plug cutter in a jiffy!
List of Plug Cutters for Creating Smooth Plugs – Top Picks
1. Baorder Plug Cutter
The first plug cutter on our list is the Baorder one which is not only very high in quality but also super durable and convenient. It is made of premium-quality materials, including carbon steel, which will make it last for a long time and provide you with a superb experience using it. The titanium-coated carbon steel is there to provide extended working life for your ultimate convenience.
This wood plug cutter can be used to create different sizes of plugs with ease, as well as eliminate any imperfections or damage in your wood. It is suitable for a variety of drills with a round shank, including bench drills, pistol drills, handheld drills, and more. It comes highly recommended to use on a drill press as well.
If you’re wondering what you will get in the package, the answer is 4 standard plug cutters and 4 four-tooth chamfered cutters. If you know someone who’s into woodworking and you’re not sure what to get them as a gift, this plug cutter can prove as an excellent option. It is not only high-quality and durable but also convenient to have around for a number of tasks!
2. Make It Snappy Plug Cutter
The next plug cutter on our list is the Make It Snappy one that you’ll find quite handy to have around at any time. Whenever you need to deal with a certain woodworking task, you will find that this tool is super convenient and useful.
This Make It Snappy set comes with more than just one plug cutter. You can look forward to one 1/4″ plug cutter, one 3/8″ plug cutter, and one 1/2″ plug cutter. With as many options, you won’t find anything lacking, and you’ll be ready to tackle any DIY and woodworking project head-on.
This tool is also quite durable and hardened for longer service life, which means you won’t have to waste money on getting new or additional tools every once in a while. You can use it with ease no matter if you’re a professional or an amateur as well.
3. General Tools Plug Cutter
Are you looking for a durable and versatile plug cutter that you can use with ease whenever you need to? This General Tools one is here to deliver!
This plug cutter is made from hardened alloy steel, which makes it extremely durable and sturdy. You can use it to cut a plug from any wood stock you want, including pine, oak, and so much more. The tool is designed to cut plugs easily and eject them, using either a drill press or a hand-held drill. Which one you will end up using is entirely your choice.
You can use this plug cutter to produce and eject straight plugs from stock up to 3/4″ thickness. It can be used to cover screw holes in decking, flooring, and a variety of other woodworking projects. The set comes with three plug cutters that feature a 3/8” shank.
It allows you to choose between matching and contrasting plugs for a decorative effect as well. This tool is an excellent choice for artisans, DIYers, and woodworkers. It will make working on your projects a much easier and more enjoyable experience.
4. Grizzly Plug Cutter
If you’re searching for a plug cutter to give someone special as a gift, this Grizzly set is a perfect choice. Not only is it super convenient and high in quality, but it also comes in a cute wooden box that is ideal for a gift.
This plug cutter can cut plugs and tenons up to 2-1/8 inches with ease. The diameter sizes include 3/8 inches, 1/20 inch, 5/8 inch, 3/4 inch, 7/8 inch, and 1 inch. The shank size you can look forward to is 1/2 inch. You can use this product for a variety of different tasks, including DIY projects, woodworking tasks, cutting plugs, creating smooth plugs, and so much more.
The best part is that it is high in quality, so you won’t have to worry about breaking the bank or having to buy a new one every once in a while.
5. JNB Pro Plug Cutter
We’ll continue with the adjustable JBN Pro plug cutter that you can use with ease whenever you need to tackle your next DIY or woodworking project. This set of two high-quality plug cutters will make your life easier.
The depths are adjustable to a wide range of screw sizes, so you won’t have to worry about whether you got the right one or not. They will allow you to make perfect and clean holes to be filled with wood plugs or dowels with ease. If you’re wondering how to get a perfect diameter, the answer is simple—use this plug cutter with a drill press. The perfect results will be guaranteed.
However, you should note that these plug cutters aren’t designed to be used with a hand drill. If you attempt to do so, it is probable that a hand drill will cause imperfect plugs or broken blades, so you should definitely avoid using it in such a way.
The shank that this tool boasts is a universal size and compatible with 1/4″ chunks. The plug cutters are made with high-speed steel and carbon steel, and they are also coated with anti-corrosion oxide, which makes them premium quality. You won’t have to worry about getting a new plug cutter any time soon if you get this quality and durable one.
6. Ruibapa Plug Cutter
We’ll conclude our list of the best plug cutters with this Ruibapa one that will provide long service life and a variety of neat features. The dimensions that this plug cutter features include 1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, and 5/8″.
This set includes four standard plug cutters and four 4-tooth inverted triangular cutters, which means you will have a ton of options when it comes to different uses. You can perform a variety of different tasks with them. The plug cutters are made of carbon steel and feature titanium coating, so you won’t have to worry about durability for a second.
They are made to last for a long time and be highly durable. They are also suitable for both bench drills and hand drills, so you don’t have to wonder whether your plug cutter will be convenient for one and not the other. You should, however, make sure that the rotating speed isn’t too fast to avoid smoking and scorching.
We know that purchasing the best plug cutter can seem like a daunting task, especially to someone who is new to this kind of shopping journey and doesn’t perform such a task often.
If you want to get this to someone as a gift and it’s your first time buying such a product, you’re probably super confused and unsure about which product is good and which one is not. Thankfully, we’re here to lend you a helping hand and make this journey a lot less difficult!
If you want your shopping journey to be as quick and easy as possible, you need to learn a thing or two about what factors to consider during your purchase. Finding the info about these factors would normally take a lot of time and effort, but you don’t have to go through that.
We’re here to save your precious time and effort by providing you with a short list of all of the factors you should pay attention to when purchasing a plug cutter—check it out below:
The first factor you need to consider is the quality of the plug cutter you’re interested in buying. You need to make sure that the product you’re getting is high in quality and made of durable materials if you want it to last for a long time.
Long service life isn’t the only reason why quality is important. It is also relevant to the type of performance your product will provide. The higher the quality of the product, the better the product. That is why you should always check product descriptions before you make up your mind and decide which product to get.
Design is the next thing you should consider when choosing the best plug cutter. If you’re looking for a plug cutter that can be used for more than one task, you need to make sure that the one you want to get is designed in such a way. When deciding which plug cutter to get, you need to keep in mind everything that you want and expect from it.
Then you can proceed to check whether the one you found is designed to provide you with everything you need from it. If you don’t see info about the design of the one you want to get, don’t buy it. Move on to the next one until you find the one that meets all your requirements, design-wise.
When it comes to plug-cutter features, you want your product to provide you with as many as possible. These features are there to make your job easier and to make using the product a smooth-sailing experience.
You want your plug cutter to be as versatile as possible and provide you with neat features that you can lean on when you have a certain project to get done. Product descriptions and customer reviews are the best places to check for this info, so make sure you do that before you buy a product.
1. What Can I Use a Plug Cutter For?
Depending on the type of plug cutter you get, you should be able to use it for a variety of tasks. However, this product is mostly used for cutting wooden plugs to use as filler pieces to fix imperfections in wooden items.
2. Can I Use a Plug Cutter for Plywood?
Wondering whether you could use your plug cutter for plywood? The answer is yes, plug cutters can be used on plywood.
3. What Is the Best Plug Cutter Brand?
There is no shortage of excellent brands you can choose from when it comes to high-quality plug cutters, including Baorder, General Tools, and more. However, you should always be careful and ensure that the brand you want to purchase this product from produces high-quality and durable products that you’ll experience no issues with.
No matter what brand you want to purchase a plug cutter from, you need to make sure that the product checks all of the boxes and factors we listed in our buying guide. That way, you’ll know for sure that you’re purchasing a high-quality product that will last for a long time and won’t break or malfunction after a few uses.
Take a look at these picks from Amazon also:
- No need for a Drill Press or even clamping your stock.
- All you need is our Plug Cutter and a Hand Held Power Drill
- 1/4" quick shank prevents tool from slipping the drill chuck.
- Cut a smooth tapered plug every time!
- Unique self-centering tip guides cutter and prevents walking.
- LAMPTOP 26 Pcs woodworking chamfer drilling tool kit set, including 7 Pcs 3- Pointed Countersink Bit, 8 Pcs Wood Plug Cutter Drill Bit Set (2 styles),...
- 8 Pcs 3/8" Shank Wood Plug Cutter Drill Bit Set (2 styles) – made of durable high-carbon steel, it is used for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" wood plug...
- 6 Pcs 1/4" Hex Shank 5 Flute Countersink Drill Bit – Made of high-speed steel, they are perfect for sinking 90° holes in Wood and PVC board for...
- 7 Pcs 3-Pointed Countersink Bit – made of high-carbon-steel with high hardness & abrasive resistance, a large chip flute and five edge chamfers can...
- 3 Pcs 1/4" Hex Shank HSS Step Drill Bit Set – great heat/ corrosion/ rust resistance with titanium coating. Specification: 4-12mm / 4-20mm / 4-32mm....
- Diameter sizes include 6mm 10mm 13mm 16mm (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" ), Shank Diameter: 10mm
- Chamfered cutters make tapered plugs to fill countersunk holes.
- 8 Piece Plug Cutter set Makes perfect plugs for counter-bored holes.
- Material: Carbon Steel, titanium-coated for extended working life.
- Package included: 4 standard plug cutters and 4 four-tooth chamfered cutters
- High quality carbon steel
- 4 or 5 cutting spurs
- Removes stock quickly
- Makes tenons and plugs up to 3" - Use for joinery, chair spindles, and toy making
- WoodRiver is proudly made by Woodcraft, America’s leading supplier of professional quality woodworking tools and supplies. Our award winning family...
- 4 straight plug cutters set and 4 four-tooth tapered plug cutters set to choose from, diameter sizes include: 6mm/10mm/13mm/16mm.
- One style cutter allows a woodworker to cut a a predictably sized hole to a specific depth in a board, (to counter-sink a fastener). The matching...
- Conceal Screw Heads: When making a piece of furniture you oftentimes need to use screws in an area that is visible. To conceal them you countersink...
- Use Standard Cutters To Eliminate Imperfections In Wood. Carbon steel is durable, precision production, smooth surface, suitable for bench, speed not...
- The drilling speed should not be too high, or easy to produce smoke, burnt black and so on. Package Included: 1 Set (4pcs) 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" 5/8" Wood...
- HSS M2 grade woodruff Hardened keyseat cutter
- Set of 10 Pcs in 1/2" Shank diameter.Straight tooth cutters
- Dimensions as Dia x Thickness: STD 403: 3/8" x 1/2", STD 204: 1/2" x 1/16", STD 404: 1/2" x 1/8", STD 305: 5/8" x 3/32", STD 505: 5/8" x 5/32"
- STD 406: 3/4" x 1/8", STD 606: 3/4" x 3/16", STD 806: 3/4" x 1/4", STD 608: 1" x 3/16", STD 808: 1" x 1/4"
- Used to make a groove or slot, which serves as a seat for a complementary engagement key. They are typically used in key shafts to provide positive...
- MULTI-APPLICATION - The tapered spiral design grips into the bolt from multiple contact points, providing maximum leverage to remove the stubborn...
- 5-PIECE SET - 5-Piece spiral type deep extractor set from 3/8"(9.5mm), 7/16"(11mm), 1/2"(12.7mm), 9/16"(14mm), 5/8"(16mm)in heavy-duty carrying case.
- EASY-OUT TOOL- Specialized spiral design for a secure universal grip, specially used to take out the rusted nut and spark plug sinking in it.
- PREMIUM INDUSTRIAL GRADE MATERIAL - Made of heat-treated high-quality high-carbon steel (chromium-molybdenum steel)，is the ideal tool for removing...
- PREMIUM SERVICE - If you have any problems during using our product. Contact our Professional after-service team via email. Topec Direct after-sale...